Friday, October 28, 2011

Staying In Synch


Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events, that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner.
Carl Jung

There is no such thing as chance; and what seem to us merest accident springs from the deepest source of destiny.

Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)



Day 45

The other day I decided to write down a timeline of my drinking history. As I reviewed the timeline I noticed a definite pattern of feeling trapped in situations and using alcohol as a means of escape. Until alcohol itself trapped me. It worried my because I have been feeling somewhat trapped lately by my feeling of powerlessness over the decision to move to Mexico full time and I feel trapped by my financial dependence on the cap’n which I allowed to develop and grow while I was drinking. I’m worried but I’m happy to report that I’m using other means to, not escape, rather to overcome my feelings of powerlessness and entrapment.

As I’ve mentioned in earlier posts in the last year, while I’ve been trying to free myself from the bindings of alcohol, I’ve also been reading the book “The Artists Way” and following its directives for freeing my captive creativity. Many of the beliefs and strategies described in the book seem to correlate directly to my pursuit of sobriety. The book encourages us to open ourselves up and to be alert for synchronicity in our life. Those little chance happenings that just seem to happen at the right time for no reason. We get laid-off from a job and we think our life can’t get any worse and the next day you happen to “friend” an old high school classmate on fb that you haven’t talked to in years and while your catching up he mentions his company is hiring and it just happens to be your dream job. (It happened to a friend of mine this week). You get the picture. We tend to shrug these happenings off as luck or coincidence and ignore them. But what if they’re not freak happenings? What if they are keys that open the many doors to our destiny. Are we denying the very miracles we’re waiting for just because they didn’t slap us side our heads and say, “Here I am!” I think for a long time I was too busy looking for the next drink to be on the lookout for or even give a rat’s ass about the synchronicity in my life. Once again I’m left wondering what I missed.

Last night I was up laying in my bubble bath and honestly not missing my old glass of wine one bit and I was finishing up the latest chapter in “The Artists Way.” At the end of each chapter there is always a list of tasks that the reader is supposed to do. One of the tasks after this particular chapter was to review my week and note any instances of synchronicity that had happened. I couldn’t think of a damn one. So I got out of the tub, dried off, moisturized and dressed and came downstairs to check email. Bam! Right up side my head! There in my inbox was an email from a publishing company that had turned down a manuscript for a line of children’s stories that I had submitted a year ago asking me to resubmit the manuscript or submit any other work I had. Shazam!

Disclosure: I do not submit manuscripts on a regular basis, this submission is one of a whole two manuscripts I’ve submitted anything to be published other than sailing articles.

Are there any other little miracles of synchronicity out there that I haven’t noticed.

So today I’m just out there doing my best to stay in synch and thanking my Co-writer for letting things happen as they will.

P.S. I’m on the road again tomorrow but Neighbor Kary May’s Radio Show will be on the air.



2 comments:

  1. I love posts with a quote to set the scene. that in itself is a form of synchronicity - don't you think?
    You happened to put a particular quote with a piece of writing. Is great and I love how each of us has totally different inspirations from the same quote.
    I also like the idea of putting it out there and the quote about turning up being 80% of success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks "100", I read through some of your blogs today and I think I'll just call you "100" to refer to you (per your last blog) and you can call me "God" if you want. LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist and now everybody has to go read your blog to figure out what I'm talking about. You and I are similar in that we are both seeking sobriety through our blogs (and message boards for me) rather than the traditional route. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete