Friday, April 13, 2012

Effervescence

effervesce

2.to issue forth in bubbles.
3.to show enthusiasm, excitement, liveliness, etc..

Day 222 of Sobriety (Hey, Room 222 was one of the Friday night line up of my favorite shows when I was about 7 years old.  The line-up was The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Room 222, and then Love American Style.  God, I'm old!).

I almost groaned out loud when my brother-in-law asked if we wanted to go snorkeling in Akumal the next morning.  Didn't he know I had lived on a boat for twelve years?  Didn't he know I had seen my fill of fish and underwater things? Truth be told, I'd never really "got" the allure of snorkeling, it was just one more activity that took time away from the one activity I enjoyed the most. Drinking.

 I didn't groan. 

You see, I was on my best behavior after the last disastrous visit I had with my brothers-in-law a year ago at Carnaval in Merida.  During that visit I spent the better part of two days being moved around by my brothers-in-law and the cap'n in a catatonic drunken stupor amidst the revelers, the lesser part was spent passed out behind closed shutters in the hotel room as the cacophonous parade passed by down below.

 So now I just gritted my teeth and made myself smile and say, "I can't wait."

Simply put, it was glorious.  I floated languorously  above the rainbow fish cavorting below.  It was effortless and, for the first time, I experienced the peace that I had heard others expound on for years in regard to the underwater world.  For the first time, I wasn't weighted down by the edge of panic brought about by a hangover, or pulled by the thought of a cocktail waiting for me in the boat or at the bar.

My brothers-in-law laughed when I said, "I think that is the first time I've ever snorkeled without a hangover. I want to try it again.  I want to try everything over again."

I was effervescent.

Oh, the first definition of effervescent? It is: 1. To emit small bubbles of gas, as a carbonated or fermenting liquid.

"Perdon mi!"

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful what we experience when we're not rushing through things to get to the next drink? To slow down and really experience things...I'm with you, I want a do-over!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It is interesting how many things I used to avoid (like restaurants that didn't serve booze) that now I'm just fine with. And I think snorkeling is great fun...actually I haven't done that since I've quit drinking (although if I knew I'd be on a boat the next day I would have been on good behavior the night before, because I get wicked seasick...so generally I wouldn't have had much if any hangover when diving or snorkeling) But a sober beach vacation still sounds really weird to me! haha! I'm sure I'll get to experience one eventually!

    You're doing so great, Kary!

    ReplyDelete