Thursday, March 1, 2018

Picking Up Where I Left Off



“As we plant in tears, we shall harvest with joy.” 
― Lailah Gifty AkitaPearls of Wisdom: Great mind

First my apologies. I don't know if anyone will still be out there following this blog, but I am sorry for abandoning this blog for so long. I found myself spread too thin and I let the thing that got me started on this path, go. That just doesn't seem right, does it? So, I'm back.

I'm not sure how much more I have to say on the issue of drinking, I think I've said everything and if what I've said in the past wasn't enough to get anyone to change their life where drinking is concerned, than I doubt anything I say further on the subject, will do the trick. I have come to believe it is a decision that each person makes when we've decided to quit lying to ourselves and telling ourselves that we can keep doing what we've been doing and still have the life that God intended for us.

We've got to decide we want to find that life, more than we want to keep drinking, or getting drunk. Yes, I still believe that moderation-because I've seen it- is a possibility for some people, but unfortunately, for our generation, and in our current society, admitting we have a drinking problem still has so many negative connotations attached to it, we tend to wait until our chances at gaining back control are very slim. Still possible, for some, but not without a lot of work and time spent, and more commitment by the barrels than quitting completely takes. It puts off finding that intended life just that much longer. I base that on what I see day in and day out  over at Moderation Management. The ones that find peace the quickest, are the ones that quit.

But, don't fret,  I'm not quite bottomed out on the subject. I still run into lessons every day in pursuit of personal growth where the lessons I learned when quitting drinking apply. I've been participating in the Best Lent Ever Series and, yes, while it reminds me of so many familiar lessons, it also brings home the fact that I am now free to use those lessons on other areas of my life. Catholic or not, I think this series is phenomenal-and the daily videos are short but packed with opportunities of self-reflection-and, no, they're not paying me to say that. lol


One thing I've realized is how much drinking stunted my growth in all areas of my life, for most of my life. If you looked at my life from the outside, you might not see it, especially in my early drinking years. I was ambitious. I formed a family, I went to school three different times, completing degrees each time. I excelled at work. All the while drinking very heavily and waking up every morning hungover. I worked hard to get where I got, but, now I wonder how much further I could have gone. The last decade of my drinking became solely focused on managing my drinking, just trying to get through the day, there was definitely nothing left to give to other areas of growth. Then, the last two years of of my drinking were spent on trying to quit drinking. You cannot imagine what the landscape looked like to me once I cleared alcohol out of my fields. For the first time, I could see clearly what I had to work with, who I was, and what areas were easy to cultivate and grow things in and what areas were full of rocks that needed to be dug up and cleared. One field at a time. I definitely have a better idea of what areas I'm virtuous in and what areas need more fertilizer and less manure. Lol

9 comments:

  1. Lovely to see a post from you KaryMay. You were one of my big cheerleaders when I quit the second time round and your posts and comments helped me a great deal.
    "One field at a time" that is something I need to work on, not a scattergun approach to all the fields.
    I fell off the wagon and under it but I think this week I have pulled myself back on.
    Thanks for all you do and have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Groundhog Girl, so good to hear from you. I'm sorry you fell off that damn wagon and got dragged under the wheels, but, you know what, the wagon just pulls over to the side of the road and waits for you to climb back on. Giddy-up girl.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for your inspiring,new post, KM! And for the link to the Lenten emails -- I got my first one this morning. Did you order the companion book? RM on Day 60.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on Day 62, RM! I did order the book but I won't be able to pick it up until I'm in the states visiting kiddos next week. So far, I've been blown away by each day's post. Funny, how just a short little video can make me see something in a whole new way. I was a little disappointed to find out I'm not the center of the universe though. lol Are you learning anything new on this abs period?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello, my lovely friend. Hey, everyone, if you didn't know it. Jackie's got a great women's only facebook support group going. I need to go hang out there more myself. Thank you for everything you do, Jackie.

      Delete
  4. Great post KM! Thank you! I read your story and found it inspiring. My plan was to quit drinking for Lent and hopefully beyond. But two weeks prior to Ash Wednesday I decided to quit due to a health issue that I'm pretty sure was caused or at least aggravated by my nightly wine consumption. Now going into my 5th week and as you said... I have found peace. I too, enjoy the Lenten emails. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you, Joni. The most amazing thing is realizing you never have to have that battle in your life again. Doesn't mean all of life will be peaceful-oh, hell no-but when I think of all the energy and mind-power that was consumed with thoughts about my drinking, I can see there was no way I could have give my other areas of conflict, or joy, for that matter, the attention they needed.

      Delete
  5. Glad to have you catch us up!
    I'm still sober! Today is 3 years and 6 months!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete