Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse Dead At 27

Day 17


Amy Winehouse died this morning at the age of 27. Tragic. But I have to admit one of my first responses was, Well, she finally got what she wanted. Then I reminded myself, it wasn’t what she wanted it was what her addiction wanted. I wrote on one of the message boards how sad it was that while onlookers on the sidelines can see the train coming, the ones caught on the track of addiction are blinded by its bright lights. I need to amend that. I think they can see that train coming but addiction has them tied up to the tracks like one of those damsels in distress in the old movies. A lot of would be heroes tried to ride in and save Amy Winehouse but it was up to her to save herself. Her addiction was stronger than she was and this time the train won. Years ago a friend told me that everyone should try heroin at least once because it was so unbelievably wonderful. I’m glad I said, “No, no, no, no, no, no. “

Today I’m out there doing my best to stay on the right side of the tracks and pay attention to the warning lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment