Friday, July 22, 2011

Amazing Grace


I do not at all understand the mystery of grace, only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.
Anne Lamott
 
Day 15 on my march to permanent absence.
I was reading an article this morning about AA's Twelve Steps. It addressed myths that people have about AA. As you know if you read one of my earliest blogs, I do not believe AA is a choice for me. It's not because I don't believe their "beliefs", I agree with most of them fervently. It's because I don't like to feel obligated to follow one association's rules, guidelines, steps…whatever you want to call them. I like to take a little bit of ingredients from each one of them and add a few ingredient from my own cupboard and then mix them all together until it tastes just right to me. Have I got my mixture just right yet? I hope so, but I have a tendency to keep messing with things and adding a little of this and a little of that (usually too much wine) until it's unpalatable and I end up throwing it away. I'm hoping this time I don't mess with perfection, or what seems to be close enough to perfection.
Oh, the other reason I haven't tried AA is because I hate going to meetings. Of any kind.
But as usual I have wandered clear off the track. Anyway this article said one reason that people use as an excuse to not join AA is because their belief is that your belief in a Higher Power is fundamental to recovery which the article says is not true. It says that if you do not believe in a higher power replace that phrase with the word "grace" so I decided to look up the definition of grace.
Grace: elegance, beauty, and smoothness of form or movement; Dignified, polite, and decent behavior; A capacity to tolerate, accommodate; or forgive people; A capacity to tolerate, accommodate, or forgive people; A pleasing and admirable quality or characteristic.
For those that do believe in a higher power: In Christianity, the infinite love, mercy, favor, and goodwill shown to humankind by God.
I don't think I can ever have too much grace, I think I'll add a liberal portion to my mixture.
So today I'm out there doing my best to live my life in grace and thanking my Co-Writer for the recipe.
P.S. Here's the link to the article: 12 Steps to the 12 Step

No comments:

Post a Comment