Friday, January 27, 2012

No No No NO No No No

"Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better."
Emile Coue (1857-1926) Overcoming Addiction Quote
Day 136

I filled out a medical questionnaire yesterday.

                Are you allergic to anything?  No

                Are you on any medications?  No

                Do you have hypertension?  No

                Do you drink alcohol?  NO!!!

I haven’t been able to answer in the negative to that question in thirty-two years.  I wanted to circle it and put a big star and an A+++ at the top of page.  No more lying about the amounts.  I’ve been answering 9 drinks to that question for thirty-two years.  Oh, did you mean per week?  I thought you were talking about per day.

Except for the arrival of Attie-Jo, my week has been full of mundane tasks.  This is the time of year when we renew our visas and pay our taxes and our fideicomiso (Foreigners aren’t allowed to own beachfront land down here, instead we “lease” it for 99 years and the money is held in a trust called a fideicomiso.  To put it more succinctly, I have no freakin’ idea where the money goes).  I am still in that stage of sobriety where every day holds a reminder of where I was a year ago, so even the most tedious events hold a gold and pink shimmer.  I can remember my handshaking as I signed documents last year, a spooker in the car to smooth out my rough edges, pouring sweat in the air conditioned rooms and praying the officials didn’t smell bourbon or wine on my breath and throw me out of the country.  God, I made my life so hard to live for so long.

Next year when I go through the same routines, I probably won’t even remember this year.

Hallelujah!

So today I’m just out there doing my best to keep turning all of those negatives into a big positive and thanking God I could also answer in the negative to ¿Está embarazada?  If I am, I may start drinking again. LOL

P.S. They heard a murmur in Attie-Jo’s heart and did tests, so let’s all hope or pray or both for a negative on that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment