Thursday, November 8, 2012
Mary, Full Of Grace
This is my Mary here in the Yucatan.
The title above is kind of a half-truth. I am Mary (Come on, surely by now you've figured out that my real name is Mary), but I'm still working on the full of grace part.
I removed my previous "negative ad" but I want to thank all of you for your very caring and concerned comments. It means a lot. I want to assure everyone that I have had no urge to drink, if anything the exact opposite, witnessing the effects of alcohol on others and seeing a person you love transform on a daily basis into someone that you cannot tolerate, does a pretty convincing job of proving to me that booze is the last thing I want these days.
I'm grateful for that.
It seems for the last two weeks all I've been able to concentrate on, waste my energy on, sacrifice my joy for is the one negative aspect of my life right now. I need to shift my focus to those things that are good in my life.
There are so many.
I've noticed that a lot of people are doing the daily gratitude thing for the month of November and I think I need to catch up. Today is November 8 so here are 8 things I am grateful for.
1. I am grateful for my sobriety, which is like a new gift I get to open every morning and which without I would be having a hard time coming up with 8 things to be grateful for this afternoon and not a single one of them would be possible, they'd still be desperate prayers.
2. I am grateful for a husband who if I turned to him right now and said, "I think I'd like to become an astronaut" he'd say, "Go for it. You can do it. What do you need from me?"
3. I am grateful for a phone call from my youngest son who says he can't wait to see me at Christmas. He misses me.
4. I am grateful that once again people have confidence in me, and more importantly, that I have confidence in myself.
5. I am grateful for friends and family that have loved me through my lost years and still love me.
6. I am grateful that once again I have something to give others that is valuable and that I am proud of. Myself.
7. I am grateful for my parents that gave me a strong faith in God and love, I wouldn't have made it through without it or them.
8. I am grateful for those that went before me, those that walk along side me, and those that follow me on this tortuous journey, you keep me on the path.
Love you guys,
A very Grateful, but not entirely graceful, Kary/Mary