Wednesday, May 17, 2017

How The Heck Are You 5/17: Write It Down!





Pretty darn good. Yesterday, I stuck to Pierre's regimen of writing down my priorities and dividing them into 3 "hard" tasks (tasks at the top of my priorities) and 3 soft (tasks I wanted to get done but I could let slide for a day or two). I didn't accomplish everything on the list, but I completed the ones that were most important to me, which are also the ones that I have the hardest time facing. Not because I don't enjoy them, really, but because I don't think I'm up to the task. The hardest tasks are the ones in which I challenge myself. No surprise there.

It's amazing the power that writing a goal down has for me. So simple, yet for some reason, it grounds me and gives me a roadmap for the day, from the minute I write it, I know it's there, waiting for me to reach it.  Oh yeah sure, I used to write down "I will not drink today" over and over, day after day, and didn't reach it the majority of the time. But it was there waiting for me. Goading me. Reminding me I still wanted it.

Yesterday I reached my goal which makes reaching for it again today so much more possible which makes everything seem so much more possible. I find that to be true concerning just about everything, dieting, exercise, NOT DRINKING! If I can get one day under my belt, I'm off and running. The power of ONE DAY is amazing too. ONE DAY! That's all it takes to turn the direction of your life. I know it's schmaltzy and some people will say over simplified and over used in the recovery world but I'm calling bullshit on that. That which is necessary cannot be simplified too much or used too much. Today could be the ONE DAY that I'll look back and point at and say, "Right here, on May 17, that's the day everything began to change."

Today is one of those days when the world seems to be an open door and I just need to walk through. Tomorrow I might come up against some doors I have to push open or pick the lock on to get to where I want to go. Tomorrow I may not reach my goal, but I'll keep writing it down so I don't forget how much I want it.


How the Heck Are You?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, blogger is punishing me for ignoring it for so long, it won't change the size of the font on my first paragraph no matter how many times I ask it to. I'm so sorry, Blogger, will you forgive me some day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about one day.
    One day, then another, and another and before long it's a habit.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete